Additional Requirements:

There may be additional requirements to participate in a clinical research study. These will be outlined when you call to sign up for a study or when you attend the clinic screening.

Geographical Restrictions:

Some clinics require you to live within a certain distance of their clinic. This is usually to ensure that the volunteers will be close enough to get to the clinic and reduce cancellations and no shows. If you are coming from out of town, it is best to ask if they have any restrictions and if an out of state ID will be acceptable.

Identification and Taxes:

All clinics require proper identification and a social security number.
Some clinics will accept an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) for eligible foreign visitors with a valid passport. This policy varies from clinic to clinic so be sure to ask if this will be an issue.

All clinics are required to report to the IRS any volunteer who has been paid more than $600 in a tax year. You will receive a 1099 at the end of the year and will need to report this on your tax return. Because you are not considered an employee of the clinic, TAXES ARE NOT deducted from any study compensation check you receive. You should be making quarterly tax payments which will reduce or eliminate any taxes you would owe at the end of the year. Otherwise, you may have a large tax burden.

If you derive the majority of your income from research studies, you will be required by the IRS to file a Schedule C for self employment. This is because when you do a study, Social Security and Medicare is not deducted. Filing the Schedule C and Self Employment pays your Social Security and Medicare. Failure to pay your Social Security and Medicare can vastly affect your benefits when you retire (from work, not studies). Consult a tax preparer for details. Every tax situation is different.

Part 1 – General Qualifications

Part 2 – In-Depth Look at Qualifications

Part 3 – Additional Requirements

Next Section: About Clinical Research